Sunday 7 May 2017

First post Sunday

This week has been so full of stuff that I will be putting together two posts for it all. This first post will be all about Flora Day and hobby stuff.

So... every year in my new home town of Helston, in Cornwall (UK) they have a special day where everything stops to focus on dancing. The roads are closed, the shops are open really early (as are the pubs), market stalls are set up and the streets are decorated with spring flowers... bluebells, daisies, gorse, Lilly of the Valley etc.

The dance is the Flora Dance and it consists of a long line of dancers that parade through the town with bands accompanying them. The dance itself isn't difficult but when you are doing it solidly for an hour, as you wind around the hilly streets in procession (not to mention dancing THROUGH certain houses!), it gets very tiring.

The day has a number of dances. The first is at 07.00 hrs and that is followed by the Hal an Tow (a small play to see out winter and see in the summer). Then the children dance at 10.00hrs. The midday dance is for (very selected) local born people and finally the 07.00 hrs dancers come back for the last dance at 17:00 hrs.

It is a wonderful day... the community gathers together with the visitors and the town is packed. Here's a glimpse of some of the dancing:









All in all, it is a great day out.

So... hobby stuff is next. First of all, I have finished the third Halfling sniper and have a fourth one on the cork (a kneeling pose):


Click the Pic!

In the picture are two unrelated items; a Chaos Dwarf head WIP (practice sculpt) and a hollowed out helmet that will be used to make new heads for something separate.

In other news, I have decided to turn the recent Kharadron Overlord purchase into some Demiurg troops. I will be basing them on the sketch that was circulating a while ago and will effectively be updating my old version (shown here):


Click the Pic!

The plan is to have an individual (or pair) of Demiurg in charge of a squad of drones. That way, I can keep the Demiurg miniatures to a minimum  whilst finding interesting drones to equip them with (maybe, even drones that I build myself). I will just use the box of Kharadron that I bought and will maybe get a box of thunderers to act as the command unit. I am planning to replace the helmets with sculpted heads, replace the weapons with something a little more sci-fi and remove the bits and pieces that give them a steampunk style. All this is a future thing but while I am sculpting other things, I will be thinking about what will happen... it should be an interesting diversion at some point.

That's it for now. I will be posting again later today with additional news.

See you from the conga line!





2 comments:

Zzzzzz said...

I dimly remember being stuck in an oven like Austin thingy as a nipper (early 70's) whilst a dance went across in front of us.

And the Helston Airshow too, but almost certainly a different year.

Inso said...

Community is very cool down here :)

It is something that the whole country could learn from.