Friday 18 November 2011

The most beautiful thing.

Every day, I walk past a Spitfire as I travel to work. This is what it used to look like:


Click the Pic!

It isn't a real one, it is a fibreglass replica but it still looks like a thing of beauty. Anyway, I digress...recently, it has been away for a bit of a spruce up and repaint and has returned with a set of D-Day markings and it looks all shiny and new.

I have always been a huge fan of the Spitfire because it is the most beautiful aircraft ever made. The great thing about the one near my work-place is that it is from a reconnaissance squadron so it never had any guns in the wings. All weapons and every other piece of equipment that wasn't needed, were removed to keep the aircraft light, fast and fuel efficient. That means that it is as clean lined as a Spitfire can get...and it is superb.

...as usual, this got me thinking...

Would it be possible to build a sci-fi Spitfire that kept the lines of the original but was altered enough to be a sci-fi, sub-sonic, fighter aircraft?

...I suppose we'll just have to see, won't we?

See you from the drawing board.

2 comments:

Blitzspear said...

I've had the same idea but from the opposite direction. taking an xwing and turning it into a supermarine xwing racer like the first spitfires.Was half way through it when other shiney stuff distracted me ;)

Dai said...

Old R J would probably be well interested in a project like this. :)

(I know I am.)